First, Jason teaches Sunday VC School: how investors work together (01:54). In this segment you will learn.
1. How collaboration varies across investing stages.
2. How lead investors are determined and what their responsibilities are.
3. The strategies you can use to win deals (Jason explains the pitch he gives to founders with options).
4. The warning signs to watch for when working with other investors.
5. Tactics founders can use for lower-friction fundraising.
Then, Molly chats with Ramez Naam from Prime Movers Lab in a This Week in Climate Startups segment (35:10). They discuss the declining costs of renewable energy, making the choice between advancing existing technologies and inventing new ones, how science fiction can make you a better investor and more.
In a short news segment, Jason talks about a company that tried to sell “fantasy startup investing” NFTs and why they had to pivot (1:44). Jason gives a brief tribute to Steve Jobs (15:48). Then, he’s joined by JB Straubel, Tesla’s longtime CTO who stepped down in 2019 to found a new lithium-ion battery recycling company, Redwood Materials(22:08). JB and Jason discuss the early launches and setbacks at Tesla, overcoming challenges, and the possibilities created by battery recycling. To close out the show, we play a clip of Steve Job’s 2005 Stanford Commencement Address (1:20:15).
Two startup CEOs share their approach to fundraising, Andrew Farah explains the strategy he used to raise $100M for Density (03:58), Dejan simplifies his community-forming principles for SoleSavy (38:27), and both give tactical lessons from the mistakes they made along the way (46:23)! Deck: https://bit.ly/3b8gz8g