Odoo is a fully customizable and fully integrated suite of business apps that lets you build and scale your stack as you build and scale your business. Your first app is free forever, and right now Odoo is offering a $1000 credit at Odoo.com/twist.
Vanta. Compliance and security shouldn’t be a deal-breaker for startups to win new business. Vanta makes it easy for companies to get a SOC 2 report fast. TWiST listeners can get $1,000 off for a limited time at vanta.com/twist.
about this episode
- Removing friction creates new opportunities and increases market size.
- Shared priorities of some of the best companies in the world:
- Priority #1: Go build the best product you can possibly build
- Priority #2: Make some revenue so that you can do more of Priority #1
- Priority #3: Never do #2 at the expense of #1
- Important technologies of the future look trivial today (like games or toys), just like the Internet did in the ’90s.
- Examples: Crypto, NFTs, Biohacking sensors
- Software innovation compounds.
- Going forward, the best companies in the world will be built fully-remote, with in-person events deliberately distributed (all-hands gatherings, etc.)
For more pod notes, click here.
Check out Shopify: https://www.shopify.com
1:03 Jason intros Tobi Lutke & they discuss the footprint of Shopify when Tobi was last on the podcast in 2013
6:09 Shopify’s ecosystem vs. Amazon’s ecosystem
11:55 Odoo – Get your first app free & $1000 off your first implementation pack at https://odoo.com/twist
13:26 Adding the Shopify App Store, friction & breakthroughs of the early Internet revolution
25:16 LinkedIn Marketing – Get $100 off your first advertising campaign at https://linkedin.com/thisweekinstartups
26:48 mRNA vaccine breakthrough
31:20 Pandemic lessons, managing remote work
40:15 Vanta – Get $1000 off your SOC 2 at https://vanta.com/twist
41:51 Second order effects of remote work, sunk cost of real estate
46:31 Comparing blacksmithing with software development, Shopify’s rapid growth & impact on the creator economy
59:43 Shopify’s early fundraising, democratized investing, “vote with your dollars”
1:04:43 Forced focus due to the pandemic, importance of anti-fragility, future for commercial storefronts
1:12:55 Leveling of remote salaries, sci-fi future of work becoming reality, will cities lose their monopoly on great jobs?
1:20:36 Mental models, art of scaling, why Shopify has never sold
Subscribe to our YouTube to watch all full episodes:
Subscribe to TWiST Clips for all the best moments: